Saturday, February 9, 2008

Outreach and Missions Weekend

Here's my team enjoying some cool drinks in town.


This is the clinic that I volunteered at last week. It's in a town called Zwelethemba and serves a community of people who speak Xhosa. This indigenous language is soo interesting ... it involves clicks, lip smacks, and other sounds (like the X in Xhosa is a click sound)! Anyway, the people there were very warm and sweet ... hopefully I can build some good relationships there.

I was amazed at this old blood pressure machine. I had no idea how to use it!

Once a week, our team goes on local outreach. This past week we got to organize an afternoon program for high schoolers. We spent time praising God and sharing about what we love about His character.


This past Friday and Saturday, our HIV DTS team hosted a Missions Weekend. As pairs, we adopted a missionary family and presented their work/country. It actually went really well and we were able to raise some funds for our outreach. I'll try to post some videos of the performances and dances later.

Jan and I adopted missionaries from Angola. We learned how to make Mwamba (this peanut butter chicken dish) and Pap (Angolan version of mashed maize). Yum =)

This is my small group: from left - me, Audrey (She's one of our staff/student leaders from South Korea), Debz, and Jessica. I'm very thankful for Audrey because she feeds me Korean food and gets me invited to the Korean braais (bbqs) here. =)


Yay for crickets. At least they aren't flying cockroaches.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

They almost look like flying roaches. ..

Anonymous said...

wow.. your tan!